Saturday, February 18, 2012

Mud build your mud bench, mud mud building

It's funny how life works.
In November of 2010 I attended the Hazon Sustainable Food Conference in Peteluma, California, a four day conference focused on the “New Jewish Food Movement”. It was a beautiful weekend of workshops and lectures, and I learned about an array of things from Eco-kashrut to urban farming and foraging to food justice.

More importantly, however, I made two connections during that weekend whose impact on my life I am only now fully realizing. First, I met a young man from Canada who was spending his semester WWOOFing in California. “Wow, I wish I could take a semester off and go WWOOFing, “ I told him, “ too bad I already applied schools.” “ Well, why don't you just defer your admission?” he replied, as if it was the most obvious choice. Thus was formed the best decision I have ever made.
Second, I was offered a pamphlet for Kibbutz Lotan “ An Ecological Kibbutz in the Arava Desert” advertising some sort of “Green Apprenticeship”. However, unlike the young man's advice, I quickly rejected the offer. The photo on the front featured an aerial view of the dusty settlement sitting smack dab in the middle of nowhere. I couldn't imagine why anyone would go there to learn about ecology, it didn't even look like anything could live there. Besides, why would I go to Israel?

But the universe would not let me forget about Kibbutz Lotan. Since November, I've received half a dozen emails and recommendations for that darned sand dune. So, when Lotan turned up in my search engine for places to volunteer in Israel, I decided to give it a little more of my attention. But still, it sounded expensive, so I said 'no' to Lotan for at least the sixth time. Finally, I came up with a laundry list of excuses of 'why not'; its too long, and too Jewish, and out of my reach, and too late to apply, and and and aaaand fast forward to the end of February and I just completed the Green Apprenticeship, easily seven of the most beautiful weeks of my life.

I find it quite difficult to summarize the experience into any sort of coherent message. I can't even seem to recall which order the magic came in. Did the mud building lessons come in between the sunny weekend jam sessions? Which took precedent; the lectures on the global economy or midnight baking in the field kitchen? I know somewhere in there there were lessons on permaculture, sheet mulch gardening, compost building, soil testing, wetland construction, irrigation, rainwater harvesting, grey and black water purification, straw bale construction, passive heating and cooling, solar power, seed saving, transplanting, companion planting, community building, urban ecology, peak oil, genetic modification of plants, geodesic domes, and economic localization. Throw in fourteen amazing and hilarious people, salsa dance lessons, frolicking in the garden, and sunrise yoga, and I'm sure I got at least half of it.

I started the the Green Apprenticeship hoping just to receive my Permculture Design Certification and get a taste of kibbutz life. I got that and oh-so-much more. The course was a perfect balance of theoretical in-classroom lessons (on every aspect of ecological-living imaginable) and practical work in the garden and building. Above all, we got to experience what it really feels like to live in a communal eco-village. Besides the domes (where we slept), everything in the 'Bustan' neighborhood of Kibbutz Lotan (ie. showers, compost toilets, kitchen, living area) is all outdoors, and all shared. This lack of privacy proved to be a valuable lesson in proper communication and delegation of responsibilities. Even so, disagreements were minimal and we mostly spent our days making treats in our solar ovens, dancing to drum circles, and hosting amazing potlucks.

And the people, wow, the people. The fifteen Green Apprentices came from an incredibly diverse range of backgrounds and interests. We ranged in age from eighteen to thirty five, and in career from summer camp coordinator to doctor. One of my favorite parts of the course was the weekly lessons which the GA's taught – a beautiful reminder that we are all both students and teachers. I don't think I could have hand-picked a more dynamic, enthusiastic, or fun group of people. I am so grateful to have connected with each and everyone of them.

What a wonderfully expanding yet deepening experience the last seven weeks has been. My knowledge of sustainability has broadened immensely into a much more holistic world view, and my understanding of these concepts has solidified as I watched the processes happening in my daily life.

Now, I am really excited to put these new skills to good use. Who wants me to permaculture-blitz their house?? Missy – you get the ultimate urban garden complete with container gardens and vermacompost.  Ali – you have chickens! And land! Oh the gardens we could build – the compost we could make! Mom and Dad – you're getting a revamp on the side garden, new compost bins, bike laundry machine, grey water system for recycling sink water for plants, and rain water collection if you'll let me.
Corner of the kitchen with recycling area and our neighborhood garden 


starting our spiral sheet mulch garden

compressing the sheet mulch garden with a little jig

working hard on the final permaculture design project, my partner and I designed a new 'Eco-Laundry" for the kibbutz complete with bike laundry cycling center, ozone machines, centrifuge dryers, garden, line drying area, second hand clothing store, and soap making facility. Everyone was required to research, plan, and design a new area on the kibbutz using "POBREDIM" - a permaculture design method. The project included detailed site map, boundary and resource analysis,  and final design among other elements. 

outside my dome


testing soil for building


the final stages of our mud bench, painting


inside my dome

the whole gang

view of the outdoor kitchen and magical sunset

looking towards the field kitchen

bathroom area

potato tire towers rock

our kitchen


building our garden




the very beginnings of our bench. tires + trash + mud = bench , yay!

workin hard




winnowing amaranth grain 


view of the Bustan from the water tower




me looking sleepy, paintin

Jules, me, max, and eli

building geodesic domes, we learned to make the struts from date palm branches and recycled irrigation  tubes

happy daze

sweet dome

inside of another dome

max, me, and the giant sweet potato we harvested

adam, me, eli, and our wonderful friend, samuel. beautiful people were quite literally wandering into the neighborhood at all times. 



5 comments:

  1. looks amazing and sounds like you learned a ton! i want a bike-powered laundry (if i understod that correctly)! the look on your face while painting that bench reminds me of the look on your face while decorating our wedding cake--woe is you but it must be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You could become the spokesperson for Kibbutz Lotan. What an amazing experience, connections, pictures, and scenery! And thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! Come permaculture my yard! Great to hear about your amazing experience. Can't wait to see where life leads you next. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous experience! And I am excited that you already have a plan for our urban garden. Looking forward to hearing what comes next for you.

    ReplyDelete